Berlin is an amazing city, with a lot of events through out the year. But my favorite Berlin festival is the Festival of Lights. Usually it runs in the second week in October and for ten days. This is an event that cannot be missed.
Berlin Festival of Lights Locations
The Festival of Lights takes place through out the city with 70 buildings that are illuminated. Some with light projects and video art, others just have bright lights. Many change what the projections are through out the night, and there are occasional ads displayed. The main locations of the festival are at the Brandenburg Gate, Berlin Cathedral and the radio tower and they use light projections and video art on these buildings.
Festival of Lights Costs
The festival is free, but can you take light tours and photography classes for a fee. Some of the tours include a walking tour, a bike tour, bus tour and a tour by boat on the river. But you do not need to book a tour to see the festival.
- If you want to take photos of the buildings, you will most likely need a tripod.
- You might want to make hotel reservations early as it a popular festival.
- The best building to visit is the Cathedral. There is a large viewing area.
- The lights go at 7:00 and most stay on until mid-night.
- If you get some good photos, the festival offers a photography contest that you can enter.
- Check with your hotel, some hotels offer special events around the festival.